Sunday, September 18, 2005

That is not what I meant at all (Part III)

I thought I would take this opportunity, dearest reader, to share with you some of the incompetencies of the subtitlers on the major terrestrial television channels. I wish I could remember all the evidence of this which I have seen over the years (I seem to recall "Roam yo and jool yet" as an offering on Comic Relief night one year), but the few I have collected over the last little while will have to suffice. Shimon Peres, according to one ITV subtitler, is in reality Dado Perso, head of the Democratic Unionist Party. Well, Irish, Israeli - it's all the same, isn't it? Sir Edward Heath, whose death was much lamented earlier in the year, was subtitled as "Sir Health Health Health" son of "a competent other" (a carpenter, to you and me). Apparently the great man was to be buried in Salzburg Cathedral, which he could see from the windows of his house. Pretty clever that, what with him having lived in Salisbury, and all. But my particular favourite was a simple cock-up which raised the old chestnut of "weapons of mass-seduction". No, I'm not kidding.

Any contributions?

**UPDATE**

A few more clangers noted by my wonderful mother:
'schleppty' [celebrity], 'more cock row' [Morocco] and 'an adult with a pension [penchant] for young girls'.

Go Steff!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home