Friday, July 15, 2005

Children's voices

Harry Potter night! I have to admit that, despite my advanced age, I’m a sucker for the Harry Potter books and all the assorted paraphernalia that goes along with them. Tonight, that meant owls. Real ones. And I got to hold one!

But, more importantly, my fabulous ex-flatmate T came to visit to take me to dinner. Since we’ve not seen each other for two years, this was quite an experience, and it took us a good few hours to catch up. I think my favourite story of the night was that, now working in the archives at Lambeth Palace**, he challenged George Carey for identification when he was trying to gain admission. OK, so he’s a Catholic (T, that is, not Carey - no great scandal to expose), but still. T’s excuse was “he looks much bigger on TV - which isn’t fair”. Well, I suppose at least Rowan’s not in danger of the same thing happening - what with the unmistakeable eyebrows, and all.

**N.B. Glossary for Catholics, Canadians, and other heretics: Lambeth Palace = the Archbishop of Canterbury’s HQ; George Carey = former Archbishop of Canterbury; Rowan (Williams) = current Archbishop of Canterbury; Archbishop of Canterbury = head of the Church of England; Church of England = does exactly what it says on the tin, but with refinement, cucumber sandwiches, and incense.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home