Saturday, October 29, 2005

Time present and time past

So, it’s been, like, forever since I last blogged, eh? Well, the muse hasn’t quite been with me this term, I’m afraid – as I explained to a friend, when it gets to the point where you’re listening to Joni Mitchell’s lyrics and thinking “Yeah, damn right…” it’s time to reevaluate life just a teeny bit. But, hey, it could have been worse – I could have been agreeing with Leonard Cohen, right?

Anyway, I intend to backdate all the posts I have drafted over the past weeks to get them into some semblance of chronological order, so in years to come (when, of course, I will have achieved cult status for my lucid prose style and scintillating wit), no-one will ever know there was this unpardonable hiatus… Historical revisionism? Perhaps. But it has a good pedigree; consider the following from Bede, discussing the apostate kings of Northumbria:

Infaustus ille annus et omnibus bonis exosus usque hodie permanet, tam propter apostassiam regum Anglorum qua se fidei sacramentis exuerant, quam propter vesanam Bretonici regis tyrannidem. unde cunctis placuit regum tempora computantibus, ut ablata de medio regum perfidorum memoria, idem annus sequentia regis, id est, Osualdi, viri deo dilecti regno adsignaretur.

You all understood that, right? So, if Bede rewrote history, surely it can’t be so terrible for me to do so too?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home