Friday, July 08, 2005

That is not what I meant at all. That is not it, at all.

Just a short voyage into cyberspace today, to discuss misprints. Yesterday, I read in an article that someone (probably some whingeing medieval) was "stick of love". Well, aren't we all, dear? My mother also provided me with the fabulous "King Cock" as a subtitler's error for "King Kong" on the television - although one has to wonder whether someone isn't perhaps having his little joke there in the BBC studios... But back to the point, which is that I am simply astounded by the amount of howlers I read in academic articles. The "stick" one was at least amusing, I will admit, but of the forty-odd articles I've read in the past few days (yes, that was me boasting, in case you missed it), a good proportion of the authors or typesetters seem unable to distinguish, for example, between words such as affect and effect, practice and practise, and so on. I mean, really. If you're writing an article, on the subject of English literature of all things, you could at least try to be literate, eh?

Sorry.

To be fair, at least misprints have provided me with perhaps my most amusing medieval-articles moment, in a fine essay discussing the status of the medieval couple as "man and wide".

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home