Sunday, February 26, 2006

Children’s voices (Part II)

I’ve been reading on BBC News Online about school attendance figures, and that apparently teaching manners to children improves their behaviour. No, really?!

As I was reading all about the truanting problems some schools have, though, I suddenly had the irrational feeling of regret that I will never again have a free day off school! I never truanted, partly because I was too afraid of parental wrath if I did, and so the odd free day – because there was snow, or the I missed the bus, or whatever – was absolutely to be treasured. I suppose that an unexpected day off work may one day bring the same feeling, but I’m not sure; as a child, or at least as a well-brought-up child with parents who value education, your feeling of autonomy regarding going to school is very small. As an adult, there’s always the option of just calling in sick, after all. So, though I have no other reason to lament the demise of my schooldays, I do mourn for the free day off.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home