Thursday, December 15, 2005

Love beyond desire

Manuscripts. I nearly fainted.

A bit of context might help. The Fitzwilliam Museum in Cambridge has an exhibition of medieval manuscripts (on until the 30th – go!) to which I went yesterday. It. Was. Amazing. I have never seen so many lovely things in one place, ever. They had the Eadwine Psalter, for goodness sakes! And a manuscript of Ælfric! I died and went to heaven.

I was very fortunate to be staying with my friend J, who’s a lecturer at Trinity, and so had the proper Cambridge experience – dinner at High Table (interesting conversation with a chap who was a friend of one of my undergrad tutors as well as the nephew of a Somerville fellow), breakfast and coffee the next day in the SCR where we were joined by one of the Trinity fellows who was the best friend of the wife of another of my tutors, and (get this) a trip up to the roof of the Wren library to look over Cambridge. Cocktails on Tuesday night with J’s colleague and friend M were delightful, as was meeting up with an old ex-fellow-St. Johnian, F. These two days were the term’s highlight, without any doubt.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home