Saturday, April 22, 2006

That is not what I meant at all (Part V)

Overheard by my mother in the Post Office:
Man: I would like to send this parcel on your next-day service.
Clerk: No problem, but you've missed the next-day collection for tomorrow, I'm afraid.
Man: So, then, if I leave it with you now, when can I expect deliverance?

Which reminds me of a story told me by a Welsh person, who saw a bilingual road sign on the hard shoulder during motorway works which read "Free Recovery / Iachawdwriaeth Amhrisiadwy". This is only funny to Welsh-speakers, who will know that the translation is not really a translation at all, but in fact means "Priceless Salvation".

3 Comments:

Blogger Gordon Strachan said...

Hee hee, that sounds like someone who'd go into a pound store and ask 'how much is that?'

6:40 pm  
Blogger Rhys Wynne said...

Which reminds me of a story told me by a Welsh person, who saw a bilingual road sign on the hard shoulder during motorway works which read "Free Recovery / Iachawdwriaeth Amhrisiadwy"

If only he/she had a camera. it could have been added to www.scymraeg.com
(a collection of miss-translated bilingual signs etc in Wales with classics like:

Warning, Exploding Workers
Warning, high arsehole covers)

11:55 am  
Blogger EJ said...

Diolch, Rhys!

11:28 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home